Friday, February 22, 2008

you lost your voice singing along to raspberry beret

The first time I heard the Fruit Bats “Earthquake of 73’” was live in May of 2006 at a venue in Chicago. I can’t quite remember the name of the venue, but it was actually an old movie theater. It was enormous but the crowd wasn’t. This setting made for one of the most comfortable and intimate shows I’ve ever attended. The small crowd sat at the front of the theater, there was no stage and most of the time, Eric Johnson sat amongst the audience, facing and singing straight to us.

That’s about all it took to make “Earthquake of 73” one of my favorite love songs of all time, a love song that doesn’t beat you over the head with being a love song. Its beautiful, simple lyrics speak of an ageless love that starts young, and takes caution to stay pure and true as the years go by. It’s all anyone in love, or anyone who wants to be in love could ever wish for.

I discovered the Fruit Bats far too late, as now EJ has joined the Shins. But I guess it wasn’t really too late after all. I’m still thankful that on one spring Chicago evening, I heard the song that made me wait till’ I found it.

The Fruit Bats - Earthquake of '73

and cause you know you love it...

No comments: