Tuesday, February 26, 2008

I Guess I Wanna Rock and Roll All Night...

So funny, those shows that you have an immediate reaction to, that you just have to run straight home and write about even though you have to be at work in a few hours, and you don't have anything all that incisive to say.

For someone who doesn't count straightforward ROCK bands as her standard go to, I saw some good straightforward ROCK bands tonight at the Echo. I can't stress enough the fact that you really should see The Henry Clay People play a live show some point in your life. There isn't much else I can say describe this band, they just have something that will hopefully make you understand what me (and pretty much every other local blogger) are talking about when you do finally see them. Rademacher brought their standard issue high level of rockingness (real word?) And What Made Milwaukee Famous have gotten considerably tighter as a band since I saw them last two years ago. They've come very close to perfecting a very specific brand of American ROCK/ Power Pop that is not all that easy to pull off. Those of you in the "I want a song that I can smile along with and move to, but need something bigger than a simple pop song played on a cheap fuzzy guitar" camp will probably find a lot to love with this band. I certainly fall in to the "simple fuzzy pop songs first and foremost" category. But they had me smiling (and moving.) You've got just two more chances to see them during their L.A. residency tour. Thursday at the Silver Lake Lounge, and Friday at El Cid. They're selling copies of their new cd What Doesn't Kill Us as well which you would otherwise have to wait until a week from tomor-, today, rather to pick up. You can find more information about the record here. Incidentally that same website also serves as an excellent place for you to order the new Nada Surf record Lucky, if you haven't already done so...

Off for my nap now, sigh...

~squaregirl marion

No comments: