Monday, January 21, 2008

See Her Runing Around She's The Girl About Town That You (Probably Haven't) Heard Of... 1/22-1/27

Hello. I hope everyone had a fantastic long weekend and were able to enjoy the lovely spring-esque weather! I know I certainly did. I took hour and a half walks every day where I tried to catch up on a few new records, but I'm still pretty stuck on the new Nada Surf. I also finally got to see Languis over at Pehrspace who are a band that I've had the worst luck catching so far. I can only hope that this means that that particular streak of bad luck is over because Languis are a fucking great live band.

Speaking of great shows, there appear to be quite a few this week. Ordinarily I leave the concert listings/picks to Joe, Duke, and Bronson because I am generally lazy, and they do a much better job than I do. However, there are just so many good shows coming up lately, I decided I wanted to get in on the fun. Please take everything that I recommend with a grain of salt, consider it for a moment, then (likely) defer to one of Joe, Duke, and/or Bronson's picks.


TUESDAY 1/22:


Ryan Adams & The Cardinals at Bridges Auditorium

Signal Hill, and Beware Of Safety at The Silver Lake Lounge

The Teenagers, Funeral Party, and Mezzanine Owls at The Echo

Poison The Well, The Locust, Dance Gavin Dance, and A Girl, A Gun, A Ghost at The Troubadour

Mezzanine Owls REALLY impressed me when I saw them at Spaceland last month, and The Teenagers seem to be on the tongue of every hip kid in the world these days. A quick trip to their Myspace page should give you a clue as to why. Both bands are at the Echo. I imagine it might be a tad insane. So you could always go off the beaten path a little with the alarmingly effective post rock of Signal Hill.


WEDNESDAY 1/23:


Sofia, and JT & The Clouds at The Silverlake Lounge

The Teenagers, Run Run Run, and Mostly Bears at Spaceland

The Moon Upstairs, Suki Ewers, Greater California, and Blackbird at The Echo

Poison The Well, The Locust, Dance Gavin Dance, 3, and Mikoto at The Glass House

Gallows, This is Hell, Cancer Bats, and Vultures United at The Troubadour


If you had to miss The Teenagers on Tuesday, and have regrets about it, here is your second chance as they play Club NME at Spaceland. Plus there is always bound to be a good song playing during those band- less moments courtesy of DJ Dia.


THURSDAY 1/24:



Sia at Amoeba Music- Hollywood

Stab City, Dead Ponies, Savages, and Victim Vision at The Silverlake Lounge

The Airborne Toxic Event, Radars to the Sky, Aushua, and Venus Infers at Spaceland

Hey Willpower, and Money Mark at The Echo

The Blakes, Magic Bullets, Narwhalz, and Breathe Carolina at The Glass House (Pomona)

Rademacher, The Monolators, Joshua Lanes, and Igor Spectre at The Prospector (Long Beach)

Feral Children, The Transmissions, Black Kites, and Kettle at The Scene

I'm way curious as to what Seattle's Feral Children are like, and they are playing with our favorite atmospheric rockers, The Transmissions, and Black Kites who Joe swears by. We're also down to the last two weeks of the The Airborne Toxic Event residency at Spaceland. This week they are joined by the mighty Radars to the Sky. If you are thinking of getting there any time after 10, you may want to prepare yourself for waiting in line. Oh, and if you are planning to go next week when they are joined by Castledoor, The Deadly Syndrome, and the DJ stylings of Kevin Bronson you may want to buy your tickets now


FRIDAY 1/25:



Mirah, and The Blow at The Henry Fonda Theater

Jason Isbell & The 400 Unit, Will Hoge, and Jeremy Fisher at Spaceland

Lemon Sun, and Astra Heights at The Echo (Club Underground)

Circle Jerks, Hit Me Back, and Last of the Believers at The Glass House

Hello Astronaut Goodbye Television, Yellow Fever, Her Girl Friday at The Smell

Au Revoir Simone, Karin Tatoyan, and Princeton at The Troubadour

I've never fallen as in love with Mirah's recordings as I've wanted to, but Ihear that seeing her perform changes everything. And I heart The Blow more than I can properly express. The Fonda seems like the best bet for Friday. However I will be hanging KCRW posters for the Au Revoir Simone show, and hanging out with Squaregirls' super crush Princeton at the Troubadour!


SATURDAY 1/26:



Yeasayer, and MGMT, at The Echo

Moving Units, War Tapes, and Radical Posture

Circle Jerks at The Majestic Ventura Theater

High Places, Abe Vigoda, Disaster, and Lucky Dragons at The Smell

There will probably be a hipster or two at the Echo on Saturday for MGMT, and Yeasayer. Of course you can never go wrong with a show from the always great Abe Vigoda at the Smell.


SUNDAY 1/27:



Upsilon Acrux at Spaceland

White Williams, Magic Bullets, The Blakes at The Echo (Part Time Punks)

I have to say, I'm quite excited about Part Time Punks at the Echo on Sunday. I don't remember much about White Williams when I saw them back in September, except that they were a pleasant surprise. The Blakes have one of those perfect RADIO singles that I used to hear on KEXP all of the time that I feel kind of guilty for enjoying as much as I did. And I LOVE everything that I've heard from Magic Bullets so far, everything. Plus the description of this particular night on the Part Time Punks website is pretty damn intriguing:

"Take a flying nun (or a velocity girl). Dapple her with strawberry wine. Tease her with razorcuts (if you're feeling sinister). Or tell her you wanna be adored.

But please, please, please, take her out tonite where there's music and there's people who are young and alive. And biff bang pow you've got night of pop!"



These are the things that caught my eye this week. I'll be back with more next week which will include the announcement of our next Squaregirls night! It's our first official indiepop night, so as you can probably imagine, I'm more than a little excited about it...

In the meantime, please do not hesitate to alert me to overlooked shows, and/or make your own recommendations in the comments section below!

No comments: