Friday, January 11, 2008

Listening Too Long To One Song: The Vandelles "Lovely Weather"

If my memory serves me correctly, I heard the name The Vandelles some time last year and thought, "Oh I've got to check into that." Of course, at the time, I forgot. Then a few days ago I saw a Myspace bulletin alerting me to the fact that they are playing Part Time Punks this Sunday. Since I was already at my computer (and in fact on Myspace) I went to their page immediately to listen. The sound is pretty much exactly what I would have hoped for from a band called the Vandelles. Just the right amount of classic surf guitar and girl group influence running straight into a solid wall of shoegazer noise. The song "Lovely Weather" sounds to me the way it might feel to watch a lightning storm at close range, and narrowly escape electrocution. That is to say, it sounds pretty, exciting, and more than a little bit dangerous. If you happen to be reading this in Los Angeles you have two chances to see them this weekend. They play the Scene Bar TONIGHT. A venue that we Squaregirls are very fond of. Then Sunday at the Echo for the aforementioned Part Time Punks night. Another venue (and night) that we are fond of.

1 comment:

CresceNet said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my site, it is about the CresceNet, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://www.provedorcrescenet.com . A hug.