Friday, December 28, 2007

Listening Too Long To One Song: Caribou "Sandy"

Funny how a song can sneak up on you. I remember listening to Andorra quite a bit earlier this year, and I remember "Sandy," being my favorite track on the album. I made a mental note that those would probably make my list of favorite albums of the year/favorite songs of the year, and to go back and listen to them again as the end of the year got closer. Sure enough, I was absolutely right in that prediction. Though I repeated the song maybe once or twice when listening to it earlier in the year, when I put it on last week something about it really grabbed me and I found myself walking an extra block before I made it home just so that I could hit repeat one more time. It's one of those songs that you feel like you can actually step inside of, well actually every song on the album fits that description, this is just the one that I would most want to. The measured drums and bells that open the song spill neatly into a wall of drums, bells, strings, flute, vibraphone, vocal harmonies AND backing ahh- ahhs. The prettiest psychedelic dream you ever happened to wander into. Speaking of which, check out the live performance of the song posted below. You could almost be fooled into thinking that they actually made this in the 60s if it weren't for the modern look of the video and, well, the presence of a laptop. If you want to hear the album version it's posted on their Myspace page.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Buying memory cards is such a time consuming process... You have to search online for prices, filter through which ones are legit, visit a bunch of stores,compare prices, finally buy your memory, and then constantly pray that the price doesn't drop in the next 2 weeks or so.

I've been f'd over by rapid price drops in the past... especially this one time when I bought a Micro SD card for my R4 gaming flash card at what I mistakenly assumed was a steal, only to later see that it had dropped by five bucks in a week.

(Posted on NetPostv2 for R4i Nintendo DS.)