Monday, December 17, 2007

Singing About Those Secret Places You Secretly Want to Be

With the glow of our outstanding Squaregirls night last week (thanks again to Princeton, Le Switch, and the Health Club for making this so) finally starting to wear off it's time to get back into the swing of things. For me, this means reverting to my default of attending a show nearly every night. It's been almost a week since I've made it to anything, and lucky for me, this week is not short on opportunities.

Starting tomorrow with Radio Free Silver Lake's dream team line-up of Frankel, The Flying Tourbillon Orchestra, and Castledoor at Boardners. Not to mention Marvelous Toy (who I've been anxious to catch for awile now) at the Silver Lake Lounge. I'm going to be very ambitious and try to make it to both. And if that's not enough for you, and you feel more like dancing than watching a band, Dublab, and Part Time Punks are presenting something called "Give Up and/or A Sad, Slow Dance Night" over at La Cita. I still haven't been to La Cita (I'm almost certain that I'm not hip enough to hang out there,) but I've heard good things. I have no idea what the night is about either, but the title sounds intriguing and it leads me to believe that dancing to Felt will be involved...

Thursday night finds our heroes The Henry Clay People playing at Pershing Square as part of a series entitled "Spaceland on Ice." I feel like something that is called "Spaceland on Ice" needs to be experienced first hand, and it's been far too long since I've been to a Henry Clay People show.

If I have any energy left by Saturday then I will likely road trip up to Oxnard for the Yay! Records Pajama Party. More information is available here.

Of course, the Rademacher record release show on Friday at the Echo is the thing that has me jumping up and down with the most fervor this week. Legend of Rademacher's live show first reached me back in September when I heard from several sources what a fantastic job they did opening for John Vanderslice in their home town of Fresno. Since then I have made an attempt to see them at least five times, and failed miserably on all counts. Not this time! I will finally get to take the two minute walk over to the Echo and see for myself what all of the fuss is about. To make this deal even sweeter, I have tickets to give away! The first four people that email their full names to squaregirls@gmail.com, and include Rademacher in the subject line will receive a pair of tickets. Best of luck! And do keep in mind that it's 18+. To hold you over until the show, here is an mp3 of "If You Got Some Magic" from Rademacher's brand new album Stunts whose release is being celebrated on Friday. It should play a nice part in getting your week started with a bang.

No comments: