Monday, December 10, 2007

you hit the switch

Since a certain someone, for anonymity’s sake let’s just call her “Squaregirl M” inadvertently missed the Thermals show this past Friday night at the Echoplex, it looks like a certain other Squaregirl will have to break her blogging silence. Although I do not know the band’s catalogue of music as well and am not quite as eloquent, I will do my best and keep it short and sweet.

So in a nutshell, the Thermals are totally awesome live. The trio from Portland put on a powerful “post-pop punk” performance that kept the entire crowd rocking from the first note to the last. Limited stage banter besides the occasional shout out to LA, and adoration of Portland, helped keep the all ages crowd focused, hopping in place and even break out into mosh pits from time to time. Kathy and Hutch would turn to one another, face to face, playing within a few feet of each other and smile. Adorable.

Although the band did not play all my favorites, I did finally get to hear “Back to Gray” and “How We Know” live, two songs that are very personal to me, that made my heart jump into my throat. In a good way. And although I didn’t get to hear “Test Pattern”, the Thermals almost made it up to me with a great cover of Built to Spill’s “Big Dipper.” I also fell in love anew with “Returning to the Fold” which sounds very Replacements-esque to me. But I could be off on that. I generally am.

All in all, it was a great show. So next time they play, go see them. And in somebody else’s words “The Thermals are just a good time.”

The Thermals - Test Pattern
Built to Spill - Big Dipper

No comments: