Thursday, August 21, 2008

Now They've Launched Another Sattelite... Tell Me, What Does This One Do?

I have a few new listening routines these days. My computer routine involves being glued to the Pains of Being Pure at Heart's Myspace page, my pre-bedtime routine is to listen to the Razorcuts album Storyteller LP (usually side one several times on repeat,) and my walking routine involves repeatedly listening to the recently released Phil Wilson Ep Industrial Strength.

Since I have just written about the excellent new Pains of Being Pure at Heart songs (see the previous post,) and since I cannot yet foresee myself writing anything about Razorcuts without venturing into uncomfortably geeky, fan-girl territory (even more so than usual) this leaves the terribly impressive new Phil Wilson Ep. It's four songs distributed amongst a double 7". They are all covers. The artists covered are Kraftwerk, Throbbing Gristle, S/T, and Faust. The songs that are covered are all re-imagined as pop songs. I find it difficult to stop listening to them. Phil Wilson really does have one of the most engaging singing voices that I have encountered so far in my musical journey. I always thought that this could be mostly attributed to just how well written his own lyrics are. Though with his recent cover of "Lee Remick" in mind, and now this collection of covers that are considerably further removed from songs that one might expect Phil Wilson to cover proves him to be one of those rare artists that can easily make any song his own. Honestly, his compelling voice, and excellent job of uncovering a hidden pop song have convinced me that I have surely not listened to Throbbing Gristle attentively enough in the past.

You can order this new Ep here. Notice also, the fantastic artwork contributed by Alistair Fitchett. If you are not familiar with Alistair Fitchett's art, writing, and/or record label you can catch up on it all over here.

~sqg marion

No comments: